Monday, December 9, 2013

A Unique Name

This blog is about my mother's maternal line, namely COQUIGNE, pronounced, at least in our family, as "kuh-Queen". There never were alot of people by this name in America, and if you have or know of somebody with this surname, I would love to hear from you.  As it is, this surname is slowly disappearing in this country, at least within our branch of the family which I can speak about with some certainty.  But the Coquigne name is still being carried along with of its various female members, never mind that Coquigne genes have always been passed along equally regardless of gender or names.

Still there is a proud heritage that goes with this name, which I've been learning more about recently. Our line comes from the area of Jouarre, France which is just northeast of Paris. Many of the families with this name appear to have been winemakers. I'm so curious about the origins of this surname. If you have ideas about the origins of the Coquigne name, I would welcome hearing from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment